Apr 6, 2010

Coconut Yema Balls

I made these very scrumptious yema or custard balls a month ago using pinoycook's recipe. The coconut addition was her very delicious idea, and I loved the change it made to the taste of those regular yema you can buy at pasalubong stores. I'm a very avid reader of hers, by the way. Due to the excitement I experienced when making my first batch of yema balls, I made too much and had to bring them to school. Not surprisingly, everyone loved it, and asked for a second batch. But the heat in the kitchen drove me off, and it is not until now that my boyfriend reminded me of my debt. He demands that I make more.

So I bought a few ingredients, just enough to make 25 1-inch balls. What I did was add nutmeg and vanilla, and viola! A fuller taste with a twist. Here's the recipe for the yema balls:

Ingredients:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 50g pack of coconut powder
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups powdered milk
1 cup powdered sugar

Procedure:
  • Pour the condensed milk into a thick saucepan and heat under low heat for about 5 minutes. 
  • Mix the yolk into the pan, then add the coconut powdrer while stirring.
  • Stir in the melted butter, then add the vanilla and nutmeg. For a stronger flavor, you can add more nutmeg and coconut powder.
  • Put into medium heat and stir in the powdered milk. 
  • Continue stirring until mixture thickens a lot and the sides show hardening (not burning!) at the unstirred portions.
  • Remove from heat and let cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  • Shape into balls and roll in powdered sugar.
  • Put in colorful mini cupcake liners.

    Pastillas De Leche on Foodista

    0 dishes:

    Post a Comment