Apr 7, 2010

Really Tasty Ampalaya Egg Scramble

Our household helper has certainly made things interesting in our quiet home when she went AWOL for three days, with a cash advance of her next month's pay, courtesy of my very generous dad, and with a text message that she would only go to church for the Easter Sunday Mass. God bless her wary soul as she has lied to us, despite our treatment to her as part of the family. Now while she is away, my sister usually does the cooking, but unfortunately for me she is only home during the weekends.


And so I had to wake up extra early despite the fact that it was my summer vacation, just to cook breakfast for the early birds: my dad, whose body clock wakes him uo in the wee hours of the morning, and my two younger brothers who can't wait and starts playing with their PSPs and DS lite as early as 6 in the morning. And I find it funny because it is so difficult to wake them up during school days.


So I find myself in front of the fridge, scouring for something really easy to cook so I can get back to sleep. I saw pork, chicken, and hot dogs in the freezer, and I thought that it was time to make the carnivorous family of mine to eat vegetables. So I opened the vegetable crisper to find out that dad has not yet gone grocery shopping for the week, and all that's left are withered, wrinkled eggplants, and ampalaya. Of course, the eggplants go to the trash bin while I prepare the ampalaya for breakfast.


To cut the long story short, they actually loved it and ate it like it wasn't bitter at all. Here's the recipe for my tasty ampalaya egg scramble:


Ingredients:


1 medium sized ampalaya, washed and sliced thinly
salt
pepper
basil
1 eggs, beaten
garlic powder
onions, finely chopped
butter



Procedure:

  • Dissolve 4 tablespoons of salt in 1 cup of water. Place into a bowl and soak the sliced ampalaya in it for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, squeeze the amplaya in the water to release its bitterness. Rinse the amplaya after and set aside.
  • Beat  the eggs lightly, then add salt to taste, 1 teaspoon of pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of basil. Beat until well mixed.
  • Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan. Saute onions until just cooked, then add the ampalaya. Add a dash of salt and 2 tablespoons of garlic powder. Some people like to add instant seasonings like Magic Sarap or Ajinomoto at this point but I really hate those stuff so none of those come into my pan. 
  • Saute for 5 minutes, then add the egg. Scramble them in the pan so that the ampalaya is well mixed with the egg. Serve while hot.
Stuffed Bitter Melon on Foodista

0 dishes:

Post a Comment