Apr 15, 2010

Tuna Sisig, the Easy Way!

On mornings when my duty shift is scheduled in the morning, I always cram for what to cook so that I won't run late for my duty which starts at 6 in the morning. This time, my eyes fell on two flat and round cans of Century Tuna flakes in oil. If I open the cans and just transfer them to my lunchbox together with some freshly cooked rice, then my meal would be plain and very boring. I always like to experiment when I'm bored with what I eat. Sometimes those experiments go bad, a lot of times it goes well. This is one that went incredibly well, that my classmates practically took spoonfuls at a time. Luckily, it was spicy and really tasty that we ate a lot of rice together with it, and we became full fast.

The fuzzy phone pic would show how much of a hurry I was in to actually look for the digital camera. Which also explains why it is reddish, as my phone's resolution of a low 3.2 megapixels doesn't adjust to indoor light automatically. Nevertheless, it was very easy to make, and took only 10 precious minutes of my morning cram time. Here's my recipe:

2 flat cans of Century Tuna flakes in oil, drained
2 medium white onions, chopped
3 tablespoons of soy sauce (adjust to taste)
4 tablespoons of vinegar (adjust to taste)
2 bird's eye chili or siling labuyo, seeded and finely chopped
a pinch of ground pepper

  1. Put 1 tablespoon of olive or canola oil in the pan. Add the onions and saute.
  2. When onions start to caramelize, add the tuna and saute well. 
  3. Add all remaining ingredients and let simmer at medium to high heat until liquid is almost gone. Stir from time to time to avoid scorching.
  4. Adjust the ingredients to taste. Serve hot.
Tuna Panzanella on Foodista

0 dishes:

Post a Comment