May 10, 2010

Baon Idea: Beef Steak (bistek)


When I'm cramming for baon ideas on a school day, I rummage the fridge for any ideas on what to cook. Since it's almost weekend when I cooked this bistek for my baon, the fridge is all out except for a few packs of beef and chicken. The vegetable crisper is empty, and the dry rack contains only garlic, potatoes, and a lot of white onions.

What's different with this recipe is that I marinated the onion rings together with the beef, so that it picks up the flavor unlike when the onions are sauteed separately. The result: we loved it.

Here's the beef steak or bistek recipe:

Ingredients:

1/2 kilo of beef (pork can be substituted), sliced 1/4-inch thick
4 tbsp. cane vinegar (I used del Monte)
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 dash ground pepper
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 large onions, cut into rings
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water

Cooking procedure :

  1. In a glass mixing bowl, mix vinegar and soy sauce. 
  2. Add onions and beef, garlic and ground pepper. 
  3. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  4. Heat oil in a thick non-stick frying pan.
  5. Brown the meat and flip sides. Cook through.
  6. Place onion rings on top of beef.
  7. Pour the marinade together with the starch solution and boil for 5 minutes or until sauce is very thick.  
Beef Steak on Foodista

    2 comments:

    1. Thanks for your lovely comment about my blog on Blog Catalog. I have been cooking for nearly 40 years so I have a bit of practice. I'm not sure what you mean about swapping banners. Thanks again. Janice (Farmersgirl)

      ReplyDelete