May 19, 2010

Baon Recipe: Chicken and Cheese Bread Rolls


I have completely run out of ideas. Bringing baon or packed meals to our clinical duty is not an option; it is mandated by our clinical instructors since we cannot go out of the operating room complex once we have changed into our nifty green scrub suits as it apparently violates the sterile code. But when you are feeding someone else other than yourself, with taste buds always asking for something new to his palate, you are forced to try and think of new ways of feeding the beast adorable glutton.


I opened the fridge in hopes that I can find something really easy to cook, but frozen packets of meat and chicken greeted me. No vegetables at all. My herbivorous dad suddenly forgot to buy fresh greens from the market, and I am stuck with bread, cheese, and an almost dried up bunch of parsley to work with. I looked around the pantry for something inspiring, and my eyes fell upon the huge bunch of native red onions, daring me to go near. No, they didn't inspire me not even one bit, but I thought they would add a little more flavor to the dish that I was about to cook. By that moment, I have decided to make bread rolls.

These rolls are similar to those commercially prepared pizza rolls, except that these deliciously simple rolls were made out of scratch. What's even better is that they are baked, and completely oil-free.You can choose to coat them in bread crumbs and deep fry them for that extra oomph and flavor, and of course the extra crisp. I opted for fat-free as I have been eating too much McDonald’s cheeseburgers lately, which belongs to the sinister fatty junk foods. Don’t you just hate it when you’re in so much of a hurry and the only option you have is the fast food store selling greasy food?


Anyway, making these bread rolls is fairly easy. In fact, it’s so easy that I felt like I was just playing around. Try it and make yourself a nice snack, or a quick baon for school.

Stuffed Bread Rolls Recipe

10 slices of loaf bread
1 cup ground chicken meat
1 block of cheese
1 egg white
1 tsp finely chopped parsley
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp salt

Using a rolling pin, completely flatten each slice of bread. You may remove the crusts if you prefer.

In a bowl, mix the ground chicken, parsley, salt and pepper, then divide into 10 equal parts.

On each flattened slice of bread, put the chicken meat on the nearest third, together with your desired amount of small cubed cheese. Spread to the sides, leaving ¼ inch space before the edges.

Brush the sides and the far edge of the bread with egg white. Roll tightly and securely, as the egg white adheres the bread quickly. Place a cube of cheese on each open side to seal. Lightly brush the outside with egg white to achieve a golden brown color while cooking.

Line a baking pan with a baking sheet. Arrange rolls, leaving ½ inch between the rolls. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven of 300̊. If deep frying, lightly brush the outside with egg white and roll in bread crumbs.

Deep fry until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Looks very yummieeeeeeeeeee......

    :)
    :)

    Have a Happy Weekend

    Kareltje & Anya
    =^.^=

    ReplyDelete