May 11, 2010

Cooking Essentials: Sweet Basil


I bought this puny sweet basil potted plant from Manila Seedling Bank so that I can start my very own garden and have a ready supply of fresh basil leaves should they be needed in a salad, stew, or recipe. Eventually after a week of snipping off some leaves for cooking, I saw new growth in the areas where I cut off some leaves.

I did some research and I found out that it is essential for the basil plant to be "pruned" in order for new growth or foliage to emerge. I think the sunny windowsill spot I put it on really helped as this sweet herb loves the sunlight more than the others.

So what is this lovely herb useful for? I use it in meat dishes like adobo, or in salads like minty tomato salad, and lemon pepper chicken. It is most definitely special in dishes requiring pesto.

Basil on Foodista

0 dishes:

Post a Comment