May 14, 2010

Lumpiang Sili Recipe with Sweet Dip


I have been a lover of spicy things ever since I was a child. I love mixing hot sauce with my barbecue marinades. I include chili-garlic sauce in my stir fried vegetables, and I absolutely enjoy crushing red bird's eye chili (siling labuyo) in my white vinegar in which I used to dip grilled meat and vegetables. I also have Thai peppers in my herb garden, and I am currently attempting to grow my own jalapeno pepper plant from seeds. But with the way I used my chili and hot sauce in my cooking, they just turned out even more delicious, but not quite like having an explosion of spiciness in my mouth like I experienced when we were ordered (by seniors in our org) to eat raw bird's eye chili, grinding them between our teeth until we are teary-eyed and all.


But the love for spicy food has dwelt upon me ever since I made my own hot salsa inspired by Tostitos Chunky Tomato Salsa. And when I laid my eyes upon the long green chili in the grocery store, I thought of making lumpiang sili.

I knew my dad would go ballistic at the thought. His first words upon seeing the finished products were, "Hindi mo ba alam na maanghang yang sili na yan?" For those who can't understand Tagalog, he merely asked me if I didn't knew how hot the Finger Chili Peppers were. And he asked me in his you-are-impossible tone of voice. But knowing him, he would definitely eat them. He grills those babies and eats them for breakfast!

Anyhow, they turned out great. And the dip is heavenly compatible with the lumpia. My younger brothers who swore to never like hot and spicy food actually liked them, in a way. You could say that they enjoyed munching and laughing at each other whenever one of them runs to the kitchen to get a glass of cold water. They were not that spicy, but they're just kids anyway. I also gave some to a very picky eater, who loved them so much that he craved for them that night.

So here's the recipe for the lumpiang sili:

Ingredients:

Lumpia:
  • 30 pcs Finger Chili or Siling Pangsigang
  • 1 cup ground pork or beef
  • 30 pcs small lumpia wrapper, 2 sides cut straight
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 8 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • oil for deep frying
Dip:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 4 teaspoons water
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with the water
Procedure:

  1. Mix ground pork or beef, onions, garlic, soy sauce, parsley, ground pepper and salt.
  2. Mix and cook in a non-stick pan without oil until browned and dry (no more visible liquid). Set aside.
  3. Cut a slit on one side of the chili and remove the pith and seeds. Rinse well with water and dry.
  4. Stuff each pepper with the meat mixture.
  5. Wrap each chili with lumpia wrapper, leaving the stalk exposed.
  6. Seal the wrapper with beaten egg.
  7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan until very hot, then deep fry the chilies in batches until golden brown.
  8. Drain well on paper towels.
  9. Serve hot and crispy.
  10. For the dip, combine all ingredients and cook while stirring in a thick saucepan over a low flame until thick.

6 comments:

  1. oh, yummy! That looks good! I have never heard of this speciality before...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very delicious :))
    Thanks for your visit

    (@^.^@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cayenne pepper is definitely hot but your lumpia looks really delicious. :)

    *Tiendesitas is in Libis. There are lots of tiangges there just like in Greenhills. It's a good place for night gimmicks too. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Hope to see you again soon. :)

    Mommy's Little Corner
    Moms... Check Nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're sorry to contact you through your comments...
    We just want you to know that...
    http://groupfeed.tk can provide visitors to your blog without spending money...
    Visit us and try our free service, your traffic could increase in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments.. =)

    Mukat: sorry, I never pay for any advertising. This is a personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... it looks so yummy. i'll try to cook it at home.. What drink is compatible in this dish?

    ReplyDelete