May 13, 2010

No Yeast Thin Crust Pizza



Out of my crazy obsession of finally making a thin crust pizza without having to wait for the dough to rise, I looked up information on yeast substitute and found out that baking powder works very well. I know the information is not new, but for a cooking and baking novice like me, it's very valuable information.

I actually made two thin crust pizzas, one for my dad and brothers (above pics), and the other would be for someone to whom I owe a whole pie of pizza. The pizza for our home was made with caution to lessen the sodium and fats, the pasteurized cheddar cheese was put to a minimum, and bacon bits were omitted. On the other hand, the second pizza (pics below) was smothered with cheese and bacon, although I must admit, less is indeed better as I liked the first pizza better. And the people at home loved it.


The second pie was softer, after I accidentally poured a half tablespoon of oil in the dough. The edges were still a little crunchy at the edges, but just right at the middle. It is also not circular in shape as the extra shortening won't allow for effective rolling out of the dough.

Here's the recipe for thin crust pizza:

Ingredients (for one pie only)

Crust:

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup filtered water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Toppings:

  • cooked ham slices
  • green bell pepper, sliced thinly
  • tomato sauce/paste
  • cheddar / mozzarella cheese, grated
  • bacon bits

 Directions




  1. Preheat your oven to 400'F
  2. Mix the flour, baking powder and the salt in a bowl. 
  3. Make a well in the center and add the water and oil.
  4. Gradually mix the flour with the liquids.
  5. Transfer the dough to a floured board and knead it for 2 minutes. 
  6. Lightly flour the pan or cookie tray
  7. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pizza into desired thickness.
  8. Pour the tomato sauce then sprinkle cheese. Top with other ingredients of choice.
  9. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through.

Garden Pizza on Foodista

1 comment:

  1. Thanks sooo much. I followed the recipe, tweaked it to my liking and here is how it turned out: http://tastymediterranean.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/no-yeast-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete