May 26, 2010

Razon's Halo-Halo Recipe: Perfectly Simple!


The summer heat is so intense that my gluttonous boyfriend has decided to try Razon's famous halo-halo. I have taken down a lot of Razon's halo-halo in the past, and I know how good it tastes. It didn't take me 2 seconds to say yes to his most recent whim.

I was never a fan of the traditional halo-halo which has as many ingredients and colors as you can possibly imagine. I hate tapioca balls, also known here as sago. I also loathe gulaman in my halo-halo, and I most especially would not touch it if it has kaong in it. Don't ask me why I hate those stuff that a lot of people enjoy, they just don't feel nor taste right in my ever-so-sensitive mouth. That is one reason why I can't finish any tall glass of halo-halo unless it's from Razons. For those who have no idea what a halo-halo is, it is a mixture of sweetened ingredients topped with shaved ice and drenched with milk.

For some reason, Razons remind me of my childhood when I enjoyed placing my glass of milk in the freezer,  and when it freezes a bit, I would stir it with a fork every now and then to form some sort of icy dessert. It's that simple. No need for those multitude of colors which don't make a pretty color when mixed during eating. No need for all those ingredients that are not blending well. Just three, and everything's perfect.

My hunny didn't like it so much. I'm guessing that he has been so used to those halo-halo where you literally put everything in it. No regards on the harmony of each ingredient with the whole piece. Just making every peso spent worth eating. But even with the high price of Php 85 of Razons halo-halo, I can just keep on eating it glass after glass.

Here's the recipe for Razons Halo-halo:

Ingredients:

2 tbsp saba bananas in syrup
2 tbsp sweetened macapuno
1x2" leche flan strips,(custard) cooked with lemon rind
1/3 cup evaporated milk
shaved ice
2 tbsp caramel syrup (arnibal)


Procedure:

  1. In a tall glass, put the ingredients in the following order: macapuno, caramel syrup, saba bananas, shaved ice, leche flan strips.
  2. Drench with 1/3 cup evaporated milk.
  3. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. i like it too.. sana lang may camote, nata, sago and ube :) haha basta i don't like beans sa halo-halo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where to get the caramel syrup for this? I also want to give this a try. :) does it really taste like Razon's halo-halo?

    ReplyDelete