Jun 10, 2010

An Aspiring Chef's Nightmare and Gomashio


It has been countless days since I last cooked anything. Okay, so I maybe a bit exaggerating, but a few days of no cooking activity, not to mention being stuck here at home during the last few days of summer vacation, seems like an eternity for a foodie-slash-aspiring chef like me. I have been drooling at the food photos over at Taste Spotting, and I feel so useless like this. But I feel a slight ray of hope as school will definitely start next Tuesday.

So as my hunny has been asking me to make sushi for the opening of classes, I looked up traditional recipes in some cookbooks here at home. But something else caught my attention. There is what they call furikake, or rice toppings. The author at Just Bento claimed that while there are countless recipes for furikake, the most favorite one was the one called gomashio. They claim that while you can get tired of other toppings, gomashio, which is made up of salted roasted sesame seeds, can be eaten every day without getting tired of it. Now, I am no fan of sesame seeds at all, but out of curiosity I took some sesame seeds out of the bag and started the easy process of making homemade gomashio.


The recipe was adapted from Just Bento, with slight change. Their original recipe calls for black sesame seeds, which I have no idea where to buy. Anyway, some say that they taste just the same, but the difference is that black sesame seeds make the toppings look more dramatic. You know how the Japanese are. =)


Homemade Furikake Recipe: Gomashio

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.

Ingredients:
  • 10 tsp black / beige sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp refined sea salt
  • 1/4 cup water
Procedure:

  1. Dissolve the salt in the water until completely dissolved.
  2. Spread the sesame seeds out in the frying pan. 
  3. Over medium-low heat, stir around until the seeds start to pop. 
  4. Take off the heat and keep stirring until the popping stops.
  5. Return the pan to the heat, and add the salt water. Stir around to distribute evenly. The seeds will clump up. 
  6. Keep stirring over a medium-low heat and scrape off any salt that sticks to the pan. 
  7. Keep stirring and scraping, until the water evaporates. The seeds will coated with fine salt crystals so that they will no longer be clumpy.
  8. Take the pan off the heat and let the seeds cool. 
  9. Once they have cooled down completely and are totally dry, they can packed in an air-tight container. They will keep for about a month in the refrigerator.

0 dishes:

Post a Comment