I made the gravy served in the red heart ramekin above to go with my traditional Yorkshire Puddings. The gravy was very creamy and tastes like the ones served at some fast food. But unlike those served at McDonald's or KFC, this gravy was not made from instant powder, but from ingredients here at my own pantry.
I tried the leftover gravy with some southern style fried chicken and it was so good! You should try this, it is very easy to make:
Pearl's Homemade Gravy Recipe
Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
1/2 tbsp white granulated sugar
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp bacon, chopped into small bits
3/4 cup water
1/2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 tbsp water
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. Saute the bacon then add the onions.
- Cook until onions are clear and caramelized.
- Add salt and sugar, then pour water.
- Add the soy sauce and fish sauce, as well as the black pepper. Let simmer until a third of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the corn starch mixture, then simmer on low heat until thick.
- Serve warm.