Jun 13, 2010

How To Make Mung Bean Sprouts (Togue)


I have been planning on making Mongolian beef or chicken for our packed lunch anytime next week, and with my Alex's tummy growing flabbier as a result of so many meat dishes, I decided that it's time to incorporate more vegetables in his fatty diet. With the Asian inspired menu plan I have in mind for the first part of this incoming semester, there is no better side dish that togue, or mung bean sprouts. So I asked my dad to buy some fresh sprouts when he visited the market, but he forgot it anyway.

It was then that I decided to grow my own mung bean sprouts. There were a lot of mung beans left uncooked in our pantry since my dad has been diagnosed with mild gout. Beans were among the prohibited list and so they were stuck there until I thought of using them just now. It's fairly easy, and you use the sprouts within two days after starting. The photos above are 2-day old sprouts. They're a bit small for my taste, but usable already. How did I do it? Here's how:


  1. First, I assembled an improvised sprouter. What you'll need is a plastic or metal strainer, a catch basin, a plate and some paper weight.
  2. I washed the beans and got rid of foreign particles like dirt and dried up pods. Then I took a deep bowl and soaked the beans in lukewarm water for 4 hours. The beans will be bigger and more plump after soaking.
  3. Rinse the beans and drain well.
  4. Then I poured the beans onto the strainer and let them spread out evenly. I placed a catch basin underneath to collect the excess water.
  5. I rinse the bean sprouts every six hours or so by filling a bigger basin with de-chlorinated water, then submerged the strainer back and forth into the water so as not to disturb their placement.
  6. Then I harvest, rinse, and cook them the way I want to, like as a side dish (recipe to be posted soon!) to the Korean Barbecue (recipe to be posted soon!).

0 dishes:

Post a Comment