Jun 16, 2010

Noodle-crusted Eggplant Side Dish


Along with the Korean barbecue and the mung bean sprouts side dish that was served the other night, an eggplant side dish was also cooked so that the eggplants would not be left unused in the fridge to rot. Our house helper seems to hate eggplants, and for months I have watched kilos of the vegetable going to either the trash, or the compost pit in our small garden. My sister is some sort of an environmentalist slash frugal-living lady who would hate to see anything go to waste, and as I was busy cleaning up the pantry of the things I see that belongs to the trash sooner or later, I saw some leftover uncooked misua noodles and Barrio Fiesta pancit canton noodles lying around. The quantities were so small that they won't fit any single serving, and they were crushed to small pieces and would be unfit to be served at the table. I was about to throw them when my sister thought of using them as "breading" or crust as I would like to call it.

The result was actually nice. I found myself munching on the crunchiness of the each bite. I dipped it on vinegar and it was just delectable, well, for a side dish. Here's how these boring eggplants evolved into something better.

Eggplant Side Dish Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 egg
  • a dash of salt
  • a dash of pepper
  • leftover crushed noodles
  • cooking oil for frying
 Procedure
  1. First, clean the eggplant and slice it thinly. Pierce the eggplant slices a few times with a fork.
  2. Beat the egg, and add a dash of salt and pepper. Don't put too much salt as eggplants have a property of high salt absorption.
  3. Pre-heat oil in frying pan until hot.
  4. Dip the eggplant in egg, then roll in crushed noodles.
  5. Deep fry until slightly golden brown.
  6. Serve hot.

0 dishes:

Post a Comment