Jun 14, 2010

Spicy Korean Barbecue Recipe (Bulgogi)

 

It was one of those Sundays when I get into a fight with my siblings. Our maid house helper has been a pain in every part of my body. She's been sneaking her friends into our house late at night for non-permitted sleep overs. She has also been playing hooky and focuses on her cell phone instead of doing what she's being paid to do. Because of her stupid addiction to her male chat-mates through Smart Uzzap, the rice burned right in front of her. Why she never uses the rice cooker was an entire mystery to me. She sneaks out of the house at midnight to get drunk on our street with other men, which has garnered the much unwanted attention of the chismosas in our street. They have been ratting on and on about how she looks like a ...prostitute. Yup, that's a better term.


Anyway, ever since the early morning at around 6 a.m. I have been doing all the work that I don't see fit mentioning in this blog. And by around 10 a.m. my dysmenorrhea is killing me already. To top it off, I feel like I'm going to have a fever, and my nose is all stuffed with the colds. With the feeling that I am going to faint, I finished off the morning chores for the Sunday, and believe it or not Sundays are the busiest mornings ever, with all the grocery shopping and going to the market and sorting everything out, washing, draining, organizing. Whatsoever. I complained, got into a fight with my dad, and I yelled at everyone. You know how they say that a woman with her period is cranky? Well, I just proved that to myself.

So to make it up to me, my sister decided to make Korean barbecue, with a side dish of togue and eggplants. Here's the recipe.

Korean Barbecue Recipe

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 4 tbsp refined sugar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 kilo tender beef, cut into strips
  • 1 tbsp chili sauce (adjust to taste)
  • sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
Procedure
  1. In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, pineapple juice, sugar,  garlic, sesame oil, sesame seeds, pepper, and chili sauce.
  2. Put the beef strips in the soy mixture and marinate while covered in the fridge for 4 hours, or overnight.
  3. Heat the grill or a non stick pan, brush with sesame oil, then add beef. Cook while turning to brown both sides evenly.
  4. Place1/2 cup of the remaining marinade in a saucepan, and add 1 tsp cornstarch then stir under low heat, until very thick. 
  5. Toss in the cooked beef, and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
  6. Serve hot, with side dish of togue or egg-noodle eggplants (recipes will be posted soon!).

2 comments:

  1. This is what I am have been missing. This is one of my favorite recipes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, this looks so good, will definitely try it soon. Stopping by from the Blog Hop :O)

    ReplyDelete