Jun 28, 2010

Stovetop Chicken Barbecue


It was one of those days when I'm out of ideas on what to cook for our packed lunch. Determined not to let Alex and myself eat any of those MSG-filled and sodium rich dishes that our school cafeteria has to offer, I dragged myself to the fridge to see what I can work with. Pork cutlets and bacon on the top shelf, chicken breasts, wings and legs in the middle, and hotdogs, cold cuts, and seafood at the bottom. The freezer is fully packed, but no ideas still. I closed the freezer door, ready to give up, when I saw a flier of Jollibee's chicken barbecue being held by a fridge magnet. I have never tried cooking one of those before, and the only barbecued chicken I knew how to cook were skinless, but I decided to give it a try anyway.


The thought of having to fire up the grill and stand in front of the smoldering heat just before lunch time was enough to drive me into thinking of another dish. But time is running out, and we have to get on the bus before it strikes noon. I took out instead the non-stick skillet and got to work. The result doesn't taste like Jollibee's, a lot more savory without the artificial seasoning aftertaste.

Chicken Barbecue Recipe

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated

Ingredients

500g chicken legs or thigh
1/4 cup Butter
200 ml barbecue marinade (click for recipe)

Procedure
  1. Pierce the chicken with a fork or the tip of a small knife in several places up to the bone. Do not cut the skin.
  2. Mix the ingredients for the marinade and marinate chicken in some of the mixture for 30 minutes.
  3. Remove as much marinade as possible on the surface of the chicken using your hands.
  4. Heat the butter in a thick non-stick pan on low heat. Brown the chicken quickly on both sides in the butter until just golden brown. 
  5. After the chicken has browned, add the marinade to the chicken.
  6. Stir to coat the chicken in the marinade. 
  7. Cover and simmer while stirring and piercing occasionally with a fork for 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.

0 dishes:

Post a Comment