Jun 27, 2010

Thick and Savory Barbecue Sauce


We have been making barbecue marinades the simple way for as long as I can remember. My grandma, for instance, would not cook barbecue without blending in a lot of Sprite in the mixture,. My sister likes a lot of ketchup and tons of sugar in her version, and I like putting in hot sauce in mine. Whichever we prefer, it always results into something different, as we live a life of approximation when cooking. Nevertheless, they all come out tasty and delicious. And the barbecue has a distinct Filipino dipping sauce comprised mainly of white vinegar, sugar, some soy sauce, lots of chopped onions, and red hot chilies. Although I'm a fan of the strong dipping sauce my family loves to make, whenever I'm the one who cooks barbecue in our home, I use the marinade to make a great dipping sauce.

Recently I decided to make a staple recipe for barbecue sauce and marinade, one that I would use to make the taste exactly the same every time. I like my marinade sweet and savory, without the vinegar overpowering the taste of the other ingredients. I used this for my Stovetop Chicken Barbecue, and it was just perfect.

Barbecue Marinade: (makes approximately 4 cups)

1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cane vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
2 dashes hot pepper sauce


0 dishes:

Post a Comment