Jun 17, 2010

Traditional Homemade Mango-Kani Sushi


I was talking to Alex regarding my proposed meal plan for our packed lunch this incoming semester, and as I expected, he was so thrilled about eating those Asian-inspired dishes to be served at our 3-layer bento lunch box, together with the nice sakura chopsticks I bought from Daiso. We then visited the Japanese grocery stores at Cartimar in Pasay City to buy some ingredients that would make everything work out as hoped. He has been asking for sushi so we bought a 40-sheet nori pack, and Japanese brown rice vinegar, which were a lot cheaper than the few supermarkets that carry them. Aside from that, we also bought other ingredients for all the other food that Alex has been asking me to make, so we shelled out around Php1500 for everything.


It was my first time to make my own sushi, and for the past few days I have been avoiding his requests until he decides to buy the nifty sushi roll maker, available here. When he finally gave in after my statement that I won't make sushi without it, I immediately got to work. There have been many sellers of sushi around that sells their products cheaply, using only plain rice without flavor, and regular soy sauce and wasabi to make it taste good. But with me believing that good food doesn't need any sauce or dip for it to taste great, I decided to make sushi rice the traditional way. And the result: no real need for soy sauce. The sushi is as tasty as it can be, on its own. And I used regular high-grade rice. It may seem that the rice is too sticky at the photos, but I'm using my camera phone at that time. I wish you could have seen the translucent grains of rice on the sushi.

Perfect Sushi Rice Recipe


Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar or shin mirin
  • 3 cups cooked rice (you can use regular short grain)
  • 2 tbsp refined sugar
  • 1 tsp sea salt (coarse salt)
Procedure
  1. Dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar. Heat in a saucepan until everything is dissolved. Do noit boil mixture.
  2. Let the mixture cool. Spread the cooked rice gently on a large bowl, then pour the cooled vinegar mixture on the rice. 
  3. Quickly mix and fold the rice until the rice is coated with the mixture well. Make sure that you are not squishing the rice so it won't look like paste.
Mango-Kani Sushi Rolls

Ingredients
  • Kani or imitation crab sticks, cut in half lengthwise
  • Ripe mango strips with edges cut
  • Sushi rice
  • Nori sheets
Procedure
  1. Place the nori shiny side down on a clean, flat and dry surface.
  2. Fill the sushi roll maker halfway with rice, the place strips of kani and mango from left to right.
  3. Cover the mango and kani with rice, then push the top mold to make a log roll.
  4. Push the rice out of the mold and into the nori sheet.
  5. Wrap the sushi roll with nori all the way through, and slice into 1" thick sushi slices.
  6. Serve with wasabi paste and Kikkoman light soy sauce.

2 comments:

  1. il eat the sushi except the paste. i dont like its taste. happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom asked me to prepare sushi with crab sticks and mangos. At first I didn't believe that the taste could possibly be good (as I've never even heard about it), but finding your recipe, sharing your belief that "good food doesn't need any sauce or dip for it to taste great" and seeing that you season the rice in the traditional way, I'm going to prepare it being sure that it will turn out delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete