Jun 5, 2010

Traditional Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

I was so bored out of my wits this rainy morning that I decided to feature at least one traditional foreign food each month starting now. Which means going shopping for much more ingredients not available in my pantry, and slaving in the kitchen for some time making those food to satisfy my boyfriend's curious taste buds. Upon browsing through the aged cookbooks already in storage, I saw a black and white pixelated photo (yes, very old indeed) of a traditional Yorkshire Pudding. It immediately reminded me of a post by The Recipe Blog, and I thought it would be a great idea to go and try it out.


Luckily for me, the instructions seemed very easy and the ingredients listed on the almost torn page are in my pantry. I took notes on a piece of paper (the book was very, very dusty) and went to work immediately while singing American Pie by Madonna. Well, it was raining and the first thing that came to my mind was that song. This recipe yielded me 9 large "puddings". The result was amazing, I was so pleased at how my Yorkshire puddings tasted and looked (see the photos I took).



For the curious mind, the Yorkshire puddings are a traditional side dish served together with roast meat and gravy during the old times. The pudding is actually light crusty bread with a soft center. It originated in Yorkshire, hence the name, but gained a lot of popularity and reached the other side of the world through aged, yellowed cookbooks like mine. It can also be served on its own with sweet jams and sauces.



Traditional Yorkshire Pudding Recipe

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.

1 cup fresh milk
1 cup sifted flour
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
Vegetable oil


  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Prepare muffin pan.
  2. Beat eggs and milk together, then fold in sifted flour and salt.
  3. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil in each muffin hole.
  4. Put into oven until oil starts to smoke.
  5. Remove oiled pan from the oven and pour batter into holes up to a little more than half of each.
  6. Pop immediately back into the oven.
  7. Bake until very golden brown and slightly crisp outside.
  8. Remove from pan and take off excessive oil by patting lightly with tissue.
  9. Serve with homemade onion gravy

0 dishes:

Post a Comment