Jul 28, 2010

Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce

sweet chili sauce recipe

It's just like the sweet chili sauce you buy from the grocery store. Orange, slightly thick, with the right amount of spicy tang and sweetness that complements pork and fish dishes perfectly. The ingredients are quite easy to find, and I buy them from SM Hypermarket mainly because it carries many ingredients that other grocers don't have.

I made this and served it together with the Trevally (talakitok) fish steaks that Alex and I had for lunch the other day. That should perk up our recent diet consisting of meat, meat and more meat. The sweet spicy sauce blends well with the slightly salty fish steaks that were pan-fried until golden brown and crisp on the outside. And the best part is, I can be sure that the ingredients don't contain preservatives. Nothing beats homemade sauce, right?

I also left some fish steaks and the sweet chili sauce for my dad at home, and he told me that it was really delicious and tasty. A lot of sauce was left ( I accidentally made two cups of sweet chili sauce), and the next morning we used the leftover sauce for the meatballs made of ground pork for brunch. The result: absolutely perfect!

Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce


Ingredients:


1/4 cup of white vinegar
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of chili flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp water

Procedure:

1. In a saucepan, combine together the water, vinegar and sugar.
2. Mix together until well blended. Bring to a boil without stirring until the sugar has been dissolved.
3. Add the chili flakes and salt, and boil for 1 minute.
4. Add the cornstarch and boil until syrupy.
5. Let cool.

8 comments:

  1. wow, I'll take note of this.. I love to cook and try out different menus, side dishes and even sauces.. I followed your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet chili sauce! Looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love sweet chili sauce as a rule, and can't wait to try it homemade =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love sweet chili sauce. This recipe look like a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try this - although - i'll be using sambal in place of the chili flakes... as I've never once seen those sold in the Netherlands. We do eat a lot of sweet chili sauce though - over bapao, loempia's etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe, you younger son would go crazy for this:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI there, love your header! This chili sauce recipe sounds pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're enjoying your day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete