Recently I went into a state of mental mayhem. My mind was so messed up that I can commit the same mistake three times in a row without realizing that I should have avoided the same mistake all over again. It's a relief, though, that I didn't make any mistakes in providing nursing care as it would be very much as life-threatening as cancer, or so we have been taught. It may have been the lack of adequate sleep that's causing short circuits in my nervous system (and here I am sounding even geekier than usual..). Due to this, I can't come up with a new recipe to cook for our lunch today.
So how was I able to cook the juicy and savory chicken sisig in the photo above? I was looking at the partially thawed chicken breast fillets at the freezer when I remembered our school cafeteria's chicken sisig, which was tasteless and downright unappetizing. Then I decided that I will cook chicken sisig that would make Alex decide not to buy their chicken sisig dish again. I'm glad that he loved it, and ate it gratefully in the dark while watching Leonardo DiCaprio's Inception.
Spicy Chicken Sisig Recipe
Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated
- 1/2 kg chicken fillet
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 30 ml water
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- Wash and soak chicken fillets in brine (1 cup of water + 1 tbsp of salt) for 10 minutes.
- Drain well and rub with ground black pepper afterwards.
- Pan fry or grill the chicken until uniformly golden brown.
- Chop the chicken fillet into small cubes.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok and cook the chopped onions until caramelized and almost clear. Set aside.
- Stir fry the chicken and onions in the oil for 10 minutes at high heat.
- Add in the water, chili garlic sauce, chicken cube, vinegar, soy sauce and thyme.Stir while cooking.
- Stir while cooking until all liquid has evaporated.
- Add a dash of oil and stir fry the cooked ingredients.
- Serve hot.