Jul 8, 2010

Shakey's Mojos and a Recipe

shakeys mojos recipe

I love eating at Shakey's. They have been around for as long as I can remember, and as a child I remember going to one of their kiddie programs where we can make our own pizza using our choice of ingredients. And the pizza would always come with an ordered basket of mojos, which are potato wedges deep fried to moist perfection.

The mojos back then were a bit more tastier than the mojos I eat nowadays. While Alex would never have noticed the difference, as he can gulp down two baskets of these wedges in one go, I like the thicker and tastier mojos I knew when I was still a child. They are so fantastic even without the tartar sauce or ranch dressing. Don't get me wrong, I still love the ones they serve now, and whenever we eat out at Shakey's, it's never a complete and satisfying meal without a big basket or two of these mojos.


When I made these, I would have used bigger potatoes, but for some reason my dad and brother went on a radical shopping spree on five kilos of marble potatoes. And so to avoid the untoward throwing away of the poor vegetables, I used them instead. The recipe below is what I use for regular potatoes.

Shakey's Mojo Potatoes Recipe

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp crushed dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled but scrubbed
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tbsp evaporated milk
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • Ranch dressing 
Procedure
  1. Place egg in bowl. Add milk, salt and butter while beating, and mix well.
  2. Mix flour, cornstarch, cayenne, thyme, and black pepper in a separate bowl.
  3. Cut each potato into (1/3-inch) wedges.
  4. Place wedges in egg mixture.
  5. Dredge in the flour mixture, and let sit on a wax paper until the flour covering each potato is a bit moist.
  6. Heat oil in a frying pan until just smoking.
  7. Gently drop each wedge into the hot oil.
  8. Make sure oil covers the wedges completely.
  9. Cook until golden brown, and drain on paper towels.
  10. Serve with ranch dressing or any dip of your choice.

0 dishes:

Post a Comment