Jul 27, 2010

Trevally Steaks in Sweet Chili Sauce (Talakitok)

talakitok in sweet chili sauce recipe

My brothers have been going on and on about their week-long homework regarding Nutrition Week. They have to bring packed lunches featuring healthy, balanced meals every day to school. Alex, on the other hand, is complaining of not getting to eat healthier foods, which he refers to as vegetables. I can't cook vegetables for our lunch mainly for the reason that my dad is the one doing the grocery shopping, which leaves me absolutely helpless when I see the kilos of red meat and poultry in the refrigerator, and small amounts of vegetables that can hardly be put together in the same dish.

It was quite a surprise, really, when I saw that he bought at least five kilos of fish for this weeks consumption. I happily prepared the giant trevally steaks, also known locally as talakitok to be cooked and served with my homemade sweet chili sauce. The sweet spicy bite of the sauce blended nicely with the moist and flaky fish steaks.

Trevally Steaks in Sweet Chili Sauce

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated

Ingredients:

6 trevally steaks
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup carrot slices
vegetable oil for pan-frying
1/2 cup homemade sweet chili sauce (recipe)

Procedure:
  1. Clean the fish steaks thoroughly and place them in a bowl.
  2. Rub the steaks with salt and pepper, evenly coating all surfaces. Let sit in room temperature for 15 minutes.
  3. Heat oil in a shallow, flat non-stick pan and wait until it has just started smoking.
  4. Lower the heat to medium high.
  5. Pan-fry the fish steaks until golden brown on both sides and meat is thoroughly cooked. Fry the fish in batches, depending on how big your pan is. Do not overcrowd the pan.
  6. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to a new plate if necessary. Keep warm.
  7. On the same pan, saute minced garlic and carrot slices. Pour sweet chili sauce into the pan and simmer for five minutes.
  8. Pour heated sweet chili sauce over the fish steaks.

2 comments:

  1. Your site is so cute! :D This dish looks really unique, like nothing I have ever eaten before! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I doubt I could ever cook something this fancy, but I admire your talent!

    I am a new follower from the blog hop! Would love for you to hop on over to my blog!

    Hazel
    Critique of the Unique
    http://www.critiqueoftheunique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete