Dec 7, 2010

Homemade Almond Biscotti


I longed for biscotti from Starbucks, but with the extremely busy schedule I have at school, I barely have the time to relax and take a sip of coffee or latte. But as we have stocked up on nuts lately, specifically raw almonds and walnuts still inside their shells, enjoying nice and freshly baked biscotti is not to difficult anymore. But I can't find the nutcracker, and unless I want to manually hammer down on the walnuts, I have to use the almonds in the meantime. In case you were wondering, the walnuts were sent to us from Canada as I have bugged my mom about the joy of roasting walnuts in their shells, just like we do with chestnuts. I have no idea where to buy them from here.

The biscotti turned out crisp and biscuit-like, with a perfectly nutty-sweet yet not too strong taste that goes really well with hot coffee.




Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup whole raw almonds
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 1/2 cup flour for dusting and kneading
Procedure:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. 
  3. Beat in eggs into butter mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  4. Add vanilla extract.
  5. Combine all other dry ingredients except dusting flour and add to the mixture. 
  6. Stir in almonds and mix well. 
  7. Knead by hand for two minutes, adding flour as necessary.
  8. Divide dough into two, then roll into 12x3-inch logs with a raised center.
  9. Grease a foil-lined baking sheet and place logs. 
  10. Brush with milk. 
  11. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. 
  12. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300 F. 
  13. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. 
  14. Slice with a really sharp knife into 1-inch thick slices. 
  15. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 8 to 10 minutes. 
  16. Turn and bake for 10 minutes more. 
  17. Serve with hot coffee or tea.

1 comment:

  1. Got here through a link in Facebook for a giveaway but I was delighted to see homemade biscotti. I didn't have almonds so I used almond extract instead, and followed your recipe by word. I must admit that I'm a baking noob, but these turned out really great!

    Now I must join the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete