Mar 25, 2011

Blueberry-Cinnamon Breakfast Bananas


I’m really fond of eating saba bananas, and I remember my grandmother frying them up as maruya (banana fritters), turon (sweet banana spring rolls), or breakfast bananas, thinly sliced and fried, sprinkled with sugar or served with cereals. Determined as I was to stop Alex from buying all the darned junk foods in our school cafeteria, I brought breakfast bananas so that he won’t be tempted to eat his favorite chips during the morning break. It turns out that he loves bananas as much as I do.

With the addition of blueberry preserve and cinnamon instead of the usual sugar or maple syrup, he was full and hyper enough tp stay away from the junk food section. I’m wondering why schools don’t ban junk foods from their cafeterias and canteens despite teaching the students the bad effects of eating them. They should have come up with something by now.

Breakfast Bananas With Cinnamon and Blueberry Preserve

Ingredients
  • 2 saba bananas, peeled and sliced into three
  • Canola oil for frying
  • Blueberry Preserve
  • Cinnamon

Procedure:

1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
2. Layer the banana slices in the pan and fry until lightly browned. Flip and cook until both sides are well-cooked and lightly browned.
3. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder.
4. Top with blueberry preserve.
5. Best served warm with toast or cereals.

13 comments:

  1. My boys will surely and absolutely love your entry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! My son loves cinnamon...I'm sure he'll love this one :)

    http://www.lyzalane.info/2011/03/shakeys-late-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. luscious with that blueberry preserve, yummy! perfect for your other egg and sausage breakfast post! PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...wishing you a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i like this one, bananas is my favorite.

    btw, please vote for Noobfoodie under Blog category and our Mike Mamaril the Site developer/designer of Noobfoodie under Personal category
    Cast your vote at PhilWebAwards. thank you

    Noobfoodie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks very interesting...never ko pa na try to...mukhang masarap...thanks for dropping by my FTF...great to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...I like this...I miss eating saba too..happy weekend

    http://homestyle-mom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love saba bananas. especially maruyas. i remember waiting for a traveling vendor who sold maruya and banana q back when i was a kid. delicious!

    here's my entry:

    http://www.domestic-cherry.com/2011/03/maginhawa-strip-carbo-loading-at-ted-ps/

    And while you're there, you might want to join my March Bag Giveaway too...=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww now Im craving for saging saba and banana q :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. love ko din ang maruya for afternoon snacks but not for breakfast hehe. Thanks for the FTF comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dumaan, nakibasa at natakam.....This is a new twist in eating banana (saba)

    Mine is up at FTF#53 - Nathaniel’s Buko Pandan Salad

    its me,
    Cielo of Brown Pinay
    Also blogging at
    My Point of View | GCircles | PartyPreppies

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm, interesting take in cooking bananas...a must try of course

    Have a great foodtripping hop, hope you'd check out my FTF entry too
    Food and Passion
    I Love Darly!

    ReplyDelete