Mar 14, 2011

Meatballs in White Gravy


I have been guilty of playing with the ingredients in our kitchen today. Somehow waiting for our graduation day has been extremely tiresome especially when you have to listen to some lecturer for eight whole hours at school. And I give credit for that for not being able to grasp any inspiration to cook at all. So I made meatballs, in a sauce I like to call white gravy.

White gravy, in SassyChef terms, is a milk-based thick sauce seasoned with salt, pepper, and spices and simmered until it almost resembles the taste of molten cheese. Almost. It can be used on pasta or risotto dishes, or it can just be a simple dip for your meat or chicken. I packed this for lunch today, and the meatballs wonderfully absorbed the flavours of the sauce. Just make sure to reheat it in the microwave before eating.

Ingredients:

Meatballs:
250g ground pork
1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs
60 ml evaporated or full cream milk
1 egg yolk
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper


White Gravy:
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups evap or full cream milk
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbsp water
1 tsp dried basil
salt
pepper
cooked chopped carrots (optional)


Procedure:
  1. Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Add more breadcrumbs if necessary.
  2. Form mixture into balls, preferably 1 to 2 inches in size.
  3. Fry the meatballs until golden brown or slightly charred on the outside. Set aside.
  4. Melt the butter into a pan and caramelize onions.
  5. Pour in the milk. Add the dried basil leaves and simmer for 2 minutes under low heat.
  6. Add salt and pepper and adjust to taste, depending on how sweet or how salty you want the gravy to be.
  7. Add the cornstarch slurry and let simmer for another three minutes, or until thickened.
  8. Arrange meatballs onto platter and drizzle lavishly with gravy. Sprinkle with chopped carrots.

7 comments:

  1. We used to make meatballs like these with ordinary white breadcrumbs, and my momma calls them Swedish meatballs.

    This looks like a great meal for a chilly night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. scrumptious meal...thanks for sharing your recipe, love to try it, i am sure kids and K will love it! PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...wishing you a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family love meatballs, I havve to try to make this sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum yum! I love meatballs. I can make them on my own. Yummy!

    FTF103

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sis,

    Meat Balls + White Sauce = YUMMY

    My kids will surely love this...I had bookmarked your page and included this in my "TO-COOK List"

    Mine is up at FTF #38

    Dumaan, nakibasa at natakam

    Its me,
    Cielo of Brown Pinay
    Also blogging at:
    My Point of View
    GCircles
    PartyPreppies

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds delicious! i love white sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, this is a new recipe for me. looks yummy too...thanks for sharing :)

    followed your blog also, hope you can visit & follow back http://www.lyzalane.info/2011/03/ftf-chowking-madness.html

    ReplyDelete