Apr 25, 2011

Chicken and Ham Pinwheel Bites


I saw these really cute pinwheel cookies today at a local bakery, and I got inspired to bake some at home, only to find out that we're out of flour. I didn't want to go out into the terrible summer heat again, so I looked at our fridge and decided to make these instead. Aren't they so cute? I bet kids would love to have this for their baon. I know I would! Oh, I forgot, I just graduated. *sigh*

Anyway, making these goodies is quite easy. I didn't really have a recipe when I made this, I just estimated everything then forgot about it so..I'll just give you a quick overview of what I did.

I pounded chicken breasts with a kitchen mallet until they are only half an inch think. Then I brined them in a mixture of 1 tbsp rock salt in a cup of water for 10 minutes. I spread the flattened chicken onto a chopping board (anything flat will do), then placed sliced sweet ham on top, sprinkled with dried basil and ground black pepper, and rolled as tight as I could. Just like making sushi rolls! 


What you need to remember is that when cooking this, the chicken would change shape, so the best way to keep their pinwheel shape is to secure all the ends of the rolls with toothpick, or kitchen twine. I'm sorry for not having photos, I just can't find some help while I'm cooking.

Deep fry the rolls, then cut them up with a sharp knife. That's it! Pretty easy, and delicious!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to be there sometime to help you cook! These look different and delicious. I'll make them for my kids one day. Maybe for their baon. Whatever that is. ;)

    P..S. And congratulations on your graduation.

    ReplyDelete