Apr 14, 2011

Overstuffed Tamago Nigiri


It's one of those days when I get so bored that I tend to play with food. No, it's not the bastardizing kind, but the one where I deviate from the traditional way of preparing food and play dress-up like a little girl. ♥ I must tell you that the green chili strips you see in the photos are finger chilis. They're not too spicy but provide just enough spice to perk up your taste buds.


Tamago nigiri is prepared by forming rice nuggets out of sushi rice, topping it with tamago, and wrapping it with a strip of nori. The tamago is prepared by beating eggs, dashi, and sugar together and cooking it in a pan until fully set, then cut into strips. At least that's what I have been doing for some time now. Oh, and when you get used to the sweet tartness of the sushi rice, you won't need your light soy sauce for sushi anymore. And there's no need to be strict with what you put in your nigiri, as long as it holds its shape, then you're perfectly safe.

I also made sushi rolls with cucumber, tamago, and kani so that Alex can have his cucumber fix for the day. They look so cute inside the lunchbox.

So far, I really liked how the colors turned out. It reminds me of Rastafari colors, which means..
The red is for the blood of all living things in the world. The gold is for all of the treasures in the world that people cherish. The green is for the earth that people walk on, to which Rastas feel a special connection.
Sushi Rice Recipe

Note: I use measuring spoons and measuring cups for my recipes, so if you're using normal utensils the measurements would not be accurate and much less than indicated.


Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar or shin mirin
  • 3 cups cooked rice (you can use regular short grain)
  • 2 tbsp refined sugar
  • 1 tsp sea salt (coarse salt)
Procedure
  1. Dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar. Heat in a saucepan until everything is dissolved. Do noit boil mixture.
  2. Let the mixture cool. Spread the cooked rice gently on a large bowl, then pour the cooled vinegar mixture on the rice. 
  3. Quickly mix and fold the rice until the rice is coated with the mixture well. Make sure that you are not squishing the rice so it won't look like paste.
An entry for:

18 comments:

  1. I've never tried something like this my whole life and now... I wanna try :) it looks delicious nom.. nom.. nom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like sushi especially if it is cooked, just like the one you have here :-); looks sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, love your sushi presentation...surely cute for bento...happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. made my 1st sushi in december. so far, kinda good ^_^. urs really looks delish. too prety to eat, actually:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. now i want sushi, love love them

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was late last year when I started to enjoy sushi. My bro loves them and makes his own at home. Me, on the other hand, still need to try more sushi so I can get used to the taste of the rice, the nori, and wasabi. :D

    Your sushi rolls look scrumptious, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like it, enjoyed looking at it and now it makes me hungry! well done, hope to learn how to make it somehow! happy Friday and happy cambodian new year! :) -PinayMum - Mommy's Life Around...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi,

    Oh my god I would like t try that I have so many things want to try but limited time but I hope I can squeeze my time to try one its looks healthy and yummy btwn

    here mine: http://simplelifekeepsmebusyandsmile.blogspot.com/2011/04/food-trip-friday-3-banana-and-mango.html

    happy weekend and enjoy the weekend cheer's to us! thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely presentation! I thought I was lost; do you have two FTF entries this week?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, sarap parang Korean gimbap lang din:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your presentation sis, it's Magazine worth of a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wooo! i love those colors and i am so drooling right now! thanks for sharing.. visit mine at http://www.colorsandcontrasts.com/anything-goes-salad/ thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to learn how to swallow the sushi. Mine is up - My FTF Entry

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet of you! looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ayay! ang sarap...ganda pa nang presentation..sowe po at ngayon lang nakavisit back...thanks for dropping by my FTF.

    ReplyDelete