Apr 7, 2011

Tender Pork Teriyaki Don


My dad bought a ton of pork tenderloin from the market yesterday, and I thought I just had to cook some for our packed lunch today. So far the school cafeteria still serves greasy and really salty food and I don't want us to touch those food in any way. And what's better is that I found this recipe in a Yummy Magazine issue Alex bought for me.

If you don't have pork tenderloin, here's a trick I always do when I need tender meat but don't have the time to go to the market to buy some. Rub the pork tenderloin with baking soda and leave for about 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Alternatively, I tried using papaya juice from a green papaya I have back then, and it works well in tenderizing the pork. A warning, though, don't leave your pork soaked in papaya juice for more than 10 minutes, because the acid pepsin found in papaya juice (and produced by our bodies for digestion!) can really make the meat so mushy. Make sure you rinse completely after.

Pork Teriyaki Don Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (I used Japanese brown rice vinegar instead)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
350 grams pork tenderloin, cut into strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 bell pepper,diced

Procedure:
  1. In a bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and grated ginger. 
  2. Add pork strips to marinade and toss to coat. 
  3. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. Remove pork from marinade and reserve liquid. 
  4. Heat oil in a pan and stir-fry pork in high heat for about two minutes. Set aside.
  5. Pour sesame oil into the pan and stir fry the bell peppers in high heat for two minutes.
  6. Add the sauce and reserved marinade, and saute for another two minutes in medium heat.
  7. Garnish with sliced spring onions, if desired.
  8. Serve with rice.

An entry for Food Trip Friday :)

9 comments:

  1. That looks really delicious! Pineapple juice is also great to use as meat tenderizer and also flavors the meat. Lemons and citrus are great as well. :)

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know papaya juice is a tenderizer. your pork teriyaki looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! looks yummy...wants some now lol!

    http://www.lyzalane.info/2011/04/ftf-11-blushing-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I would like to try you're cooking dish... It's so yummy and delicious

    btwn here mine I hope you can take a look and visit my 2nd entry here FTF and my blog site and xlink with you thank you

    http://simplelifekeepsmebusyandsmile.blogspot.com/2011/04/food-trip-friday-2-salad-and-shrimp.html

    happy weekend! and cheer's to us and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds great and thanks for sharing your recipe! your tips on how to tenderized a meat was helpful, thanks! anyway, please visit me and get your slice of almond chocolate cake! happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks tasty..:)

    Don’t forget to visit My Food Trip Friday wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Voting is now open ,so please invite your friends to vote for your post entry. Good Luck and Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks yummy! I want to have some. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete