Apr 23, 2011

Vanilla Hearts Pudding


I have always loved vanilla pudding in its creamy, milky goodness. It's one dessert that never fails to pick me up even in the bluest days and worst moods I'm in, and right now I could use some comfort food to drive me from insanity with this terrible summer heat. It's easy, it's a real comfort food, and it's best served when chilled. What's even better is that Alex is coming over to share this dessert with me.

I'm keeping this post short to help reduce my blog's carbon emissions in time for Earth Day. Yes, this is a scheduled post, since I will be away for the rest of the weekend. Have a great weekend everyone!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
Procedure:

  1. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix well.
  2. In a saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat for five minutes while adding the sugar mixture gradually.
  3. In a bowl, pour a little of the mixture over the egg yolk to temper it, beat lightly, and return to the pan.
  4. Keep stirring until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
  5. Bring to a gentle boil and continue cooking over low heat while stirring for three minutes.
  6. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg (optional).
  7. Pour into ramekins or dessert glasses. 
  8. Cool to room temperature then chill.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up with this notion that pudding should be made of leftover bread... hehe.. but this one looks delicious.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a different kind, I guess. :) But this one's an old recipe.

    ReplyDelete