Jul 20, 2011

Homemade Puto - Cheese, Blueberry, Honey Almond


Yes, it's my first time to make homemade puto, also known as rice cakes. We've made them before in cooking class back in high school, but of course back then we just let the active groupmates do the work. :) Now I really appreciate puto - to be honest I am not fond of these unless they are made with milk in them, as many stores fail to do. I want my rice cakes to be fluffy yet creamy, unlike the fluffy dry puto being sold in the market. Oh, and I got to use my colorful silicone cups! :)

Traditionally, they are made with rice flour or rice paste they call galapong, as my lola used to make, then steamed in puto pans until all fluffed up. But I don't know where to find galapong, nor rice flour, so I used cake flour instead. And to make things more interesting, I added a few ingredients to give a different flavor to each batch, though not too much because I wanted to preserve the rice cake's original flavor. The result: creamy puto with hints of dried blueberries, cheese, and honey-roasted almonds. You can use any topping, I just used what I have yesterday.

I used an electronic steamer, but a traditional steamer would be great. :)



Homemade Puto Recipe

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups cake flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg whites
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup water
Cheese, cut into strips

Procedure:
  1. Boil water over steamer, or prepare electronic steamer.
  2. In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Continue beating while adding the evaporated milk and water.
  4. Add the flour mixture and mix well until smooth.
  5. Fill 3/4 of the silicone cups (or greased puto pans) with the batter. Top with cheese and other toppings of your choice.
  6. Steam for 25 minutes from the time the water starts boiling. The puto is cooked when the top bounces back when pressed.
  7. Serve warm with coffee or hot chocolate.

      25 comments:

      1. You came up with good looking puto with colorful toppings - Nice! Galapong is really the main ingredient of these treats along with bibingka. Thanks for sharing.

        ray

        ReplyDelete
      2. wow!!! amazing puto!!! looks yummy! nome nome!
        love your blog! nice lay-out too!
        thanks for joining the giveaway!

        love,
        Diane

        ReplyDelete
      3. What a great use for silicone cups! I adore mine, too!

        ReplyDelete
      4. hmmm yummy! i love puto. i like your toppings!

        ReplyDelete
      5. Wow thanks for sharing this! You make coooking seem very easy! I love puto too! I have tried making putos before, but they are the no-cook type! I love your pictures!!!!

        ReplyDelete
      6. I did made puto sometime ago - baked like yours n silicon cups...i like your colors though! hihi purple!

        ReplyDelete
      7. Wow! Flavorful Puto! Love them!

        ReplyDelete
      8. I have never heard of this before...sounds delicious and looks beautiful!

        ReplyDelete
      9. I've never heard of Puto but they sure look and sound wonderful.

        Lisa~~
        Cook Lisa Cook

        ReplyDelete
      10. ohh wow wow wow!!! i love that!!! thats great!! i wanna do some!! ;D nice!

        ReplyDelete
      11. added you to my blogroll...hope you add me too :D TY

        ReplyDelete
      12. the colorful cups make these puto very pretty! puto and cheese are the perfect pair.

        ReplyDelete
      13. This one is great for snacks, it is also healthy, it can be brought by kids to the school for their snacks. Nice. Mine is up and its here Little World of Fun, thans

        ReplyDelete
      14. I love goldi puto.basta kakanin, like ko lalo na me cheese. ibang level na puto mo sis, with almonds pa. yummm..

        ReplyDelete
      15. Looks yummy! I've never tried puto with dried blueberries or honey-roasted almonds before. Thanks for visiting my site.

        ReplyDelete
      16. wow! ur puto look so yummy! i coudnt make it from scratch. i used ready mix. =)

        A SAHM Reviews.Net

        ReplyDelete
      17. wow! ang galing...madali lang pala ang ings ano...I usually use the ready mix....hehehhee...thanks for sharing....kakaluto ko lang nang puto the other day.

        ReplyDelete
      18. Those lovely, colorful, and yummy-looking homemade rice cakes are really tempting! Can I have a bite? Happy FTF, and thanks for the visit!

        ReplyDelete
      19. I would like to try this sis...thanks for the recipe...Your puto is wahat we call sosyal na puto, ganda ng lalagyan sarap pa ng toppings...yum yum

        Mine is up at FTF No. 21. Hope you can visit back...

        ReplyDelete
      20. This looks yummy, I wanna try this,

        ReplyDelete
      21. I would love to try this hope you can also take a chance with my recipes at www.joyshumblekitchen.blogspot.com and for my foodie adventure, www.gastronomybyjoy.com...

        ReplyDelete
      22. wow, that looks really delicious and thanks for sharing your recipe, i will try it soon! and yes, i love your silicone cups, very cute! visiting late from FTF, hope you can visit me back. thank you and wishing you a great week. :)

        ReplyDelete
      23. wow! and it's your first time?you can start having your own bakery now! :)
        Bty, I love your new blog layout/theme, it look so neat!

        ReplyDelete
      24. Thanks for your kind words everyone :)

        ReplyDelete