Jul 25, 2011

Homemade Salt and Pepper Potato Chips

Homemade Salt and Pepper Potato Chips

What do you do when you have a lot of potatoes and you're craving for a light snack? Make homemade potato chips! It's just an experiment though, since I miss eating the potato chips sold at our school. I used to watch the lady slice up big potato pieces with her mandolin slicer on the spot, then dropping them all on the deep frier. After a few minutes, out come crisp potato slices with the skin on, sprinkled with salt and pepper just as I like them. Alex likes his chips smothered with mayo-ketchup mix, which I don't really like. :p

Homemade Salt and Pepper Potato Chips

With a mandolin slicer you can get even slices quickly, as opposed to slicing them by hand. Be careful, though, the blade is real sharp! The secret to crisp chips that are not too oily, is that the slices have to be even, at a good 0.5 mm thick. The mandolin slicer I bought was already packed at that measured thickness, but I saw more expensive ones with adjustable thickness. 

Oh, and don't forget the oil temperature, the potato slices have to be deep-fried, and the pan should be very hot when you put them in. Don't overcrowd the pan, since when the temperature drops, the oil seeps into the potatoes and you'd get soggy cor oily chips. When my brothers saw the batch of chips I fried up yesterday, they thought the chips were baked. :)

9 comments:

  1. These sound fabulous! I'm going to have to make some soon! I love potato chips and anything homemade is that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! We used to make chips at home and the other family members put only salt on top. I guess I was the only one to put pepper too. Thanks!

    ___
    call Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my...Am craving for this now..:P
    first time here..love ur space..
    awesome recipe collection with gorgeous clicks..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those looked so yummy that I had to make a batch for lunch today. Didn't have a mandolin slicer, but my cheese slicer worked just fine. I only did one potato though, for larger batches it's probably better with the mandolin slicer. I used rapeseed/ colza oil instead of other frying oil. That is much healthier than regular oil, but works just as well, and has a nice buttery taste to it. Thanks for sharing - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by! :)

    @Cybergabi, I love your healthy options :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife is craving potato chips these days and this post is making me crave them too! Thanks for sharing these savoury morsels ... Shame they can't be eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make potato chips at home, Nice to bite a freshly cooked crsipy chip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pearl!

    Chris here of aquinochris.blogspot.com a.k.a raving mad. =) thanks for checking out my site =) much appreciated. about the cuts of potatoes I guess perseverance hahaha you really need a sharp knife to do that. Out of that shape on your chips just cut those potatoes on strips. B =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s in point of fact a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete