Jul 4, 2011

Meaty Roast Eggplant Fritata

Meaty Roast Eggplant Fritata

It's been so long since I last posted here. I was busy with an exam that would be the start of my future career, and I didn't want to compromise it. But here I am again, and I started everything off by cooking a simple breakfast this morning. It's herby, meaty, and has a lot less salt and oil than the usual fritata.

A fritata is a way of cooking scrambled eggs with additional ingredients such as meat and vegetables. Some people mistake this for omelette, which is basically egg with a cooked filling spooned in between the fold. Eggplants are really great for fritatas, and here we call it tortang talong. But the traditional way of cooking tortang talong is roasting or boiling an eggplant, peeling it, and pouring egg over it on a skillet while waiting for it to set. Usually, the stem is included, but I want a tastier and finer fritata that my brothers would eat, and they do not take to the eggplants well. I better hide it, those boys are such picky eaters!

Eggplant Fritata Recipe

Ingredients:

2 long eggplants
2 eggs
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup cubed spam (optional)
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:
  1. Roast eggplants on open fire. Cool to room temperature then peel under running water.
  2. Cut off the stem, and mash the eggplants with a fork.
  3. In a bowl, beat the eggs with the flour, basil, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, spam, and eggplant, and mix until well blended.
  4. Heat a pan and brush lightly with oil or butter.
  5. Pour the mixture and cook until the bottom is set but the top is still creamy.
  6. Serve hot with garlic fried rice.

1 comment: