Jul 23, 2011

Ukoy Kalabasa (Squash Fritters)



I grew up eating two kinds of ukoy (also known as okoy in some places). The more popular one which I so totally love eating in trips to the provinces is the ukoy hipon, made from small shrimps with their heads and shells still on, and battered with a crisp mixture that I often enjoy piping hot with a spicy vinegar dip.



There's also the ukoy kalabasa, a much less crisp than their shrimp counterparts, but equally delicious as well. I remember not liking this when I was a kid, staring incredulously as my sister ate mouthfuls of this stuff. But I was seven years old then, and there's two veggies that I wouldn't eat as a child: ampalaya (bitter melon) and squash. But now that I ate it again, it's quite delicious. :)



When I remembered my lola who cooks these for us, I decided to make some, and add a few ingredients to make it more appealing to my brothers who are keen not to eat any vegetables at all. I added onion leaves to perk up the taste.





Ingredients
  • 1/4 kilo squash (around two cups when grated)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion leaves
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup cornstarch
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper

Cooking Directions

  1. In a bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Add the egg and water, and mix well until smooth.
  2. Add the batter to the grated squash and spring onions. Mix well.
  3. Heat a small amount of oil in a shallow pan, and pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan. Flip once the bottom is golden brown.
  4. Serve hot with spicy vinegar.

16 comments:

  1. wow yum!!
    were making this in nutrition month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy okoy! :)

    Masarap sa okoy kapag malutong to the bite dahil sa shrimp head. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this blog post, it has some great info. Thank you and keep up good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMY! nome nome nome.. i love your blog!!! i'll try to do this recipe.. i'm sure my baby will love it! sarap! ginutom ako!!! thank you for the recipe! galing!! mmuaahh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw, i forgot to ask you.. hope you can dm me on twitter.. what camera do you have? ganda ng shots! winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Boy Takaw and Somsi, thanks for your kind words :)

    @Diane, I use a Sony Cybershot point and shoot.. It's not always this good, only when the lighting is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! i like squash! :) i love food too, hope you could drop by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Guia, done and followed :) I love your reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy yummy! Hopping by with my toolbar by :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! I look forward to trying! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm, i have not tried an ukoy calabasa before... my mom used to make one made of togue naman...will definitely try this, especially since my kid loves calabasa...

    thanks for dropping by my site...hope to see you there again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. why i always smell delicious in your blog...heheh

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of it but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To enjoy the crispiest okoy kalabasa, do not grate it. Cut it julienned style. Do not include egg. Jus a little flour or cornstarch, salt and pepper. Toss them and fry acc to desired size. When already in the pan, add small whole shrimps on top. Guaranteed CRISP!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite.. And I tried to cook it from this recipe with some alterations... And I love it..Love na love na din ng family ko. Panay nga ang request eh... Thank you so much Ms. Sassy Chef..

    ReplyDelete
  16. bet ka tlga too,,, prommmmmmmm..........

    ReplyDelete