It's been long since I wanted to go to Mercato Centrale and try all the dishes the weekend market is known for, but a trip to Bonifacio Global City from our place is a good, long ride, and so far I haven't mustered enough strength to drop by. Sometimes I wonder when would I be able to go around my own country and revel in all its glory: the food, the scenery, and the rich local culture, but at the start of my would-be career, one would set priorities.
Now what most too-busy-to-dine city dwellers have long desired was made possible by Our Awesome Planet's Anton Diaz and RJ Ledesma with the birth of City Delivery. With a goal to connect unique foodie finds with many people at just a click or a simple phone call, everyone can now enjoy the Metro's emerging great food merchants and products without so much as taking a step outside their abode.
Just recently, Foodie Delivery has partnered with Mercato Centrale so that foodies can indulge in the delicacies Mercato Centrale has to offer. Located in Bonifacio Global City, it has stayed on top of many lists of must-visit foodie spots around Metro Manila. So if you can't make it to the weekend market, you can still have your fix by ordering through their hotline or through their website. With the launch of Mercato Centrale Delivery through City Delivery, foodies can now try the specialties from the famous weekend bazaar. :)
I have City Delivery to thank for the invitation to try out a meal from one of Mercato Centrale's merchants, Bale Dutung. Silly me for forgetting to take a photo of their bright orange delivery motorcycles and the friendly delivery guy. I must admire him for that, he came from a long way and he still managed to flash a smile. I guess the motorcycles are not the only ones that are bright. :) The food came in microwaveable plastic containers, with everything wrapped up inside. There were sauces packed separately. I also got a salad and two cold cans of Pepsi, one of the company's new partners.
It's a relief that the food wasn't cold even after the long trip and the rainy weather, in fact it was still a bit warm, but I do love eating hot food, so I popped the Bagnetta in the toaster, and heated the Lechon Tortilla in the microwave. After a few minutes, a hot and tasty meal for me and my sister. Who would have thought that the meal on those plates was from a food delivery service? I think they look like they're fresh from Bale Dutung's kitchen!
The Bagnetta came with a small instruction leaflet on heating and assembling, which I followed to a T, so I got what what was pictured above. Crisp Pan de Bagnet on a bed of KBL (kamatis, bagoong, lasuna) on top of hot, toasted ciabatta bread. Though I always have bagnet from Ilocos, eating it this way is a pleasant surprise. I long thought I couldn't eat bagnet without rice, but I stand corrected. On a note, I love their bagoong, which doesn't have that strong fishy smell and packs a lessened salty taste but still retains great flavor.
On the photo above is Bale Dutung's famous Lechon Tortilla, and the thick sauce on it is their Oriental Sauce. You probably can't see the lechon strips, which were smothered with sauce and topped with tomatoes and onions, but it is a generous serving. It was a wickedly pleasant bite, with the rich basil flavor complementing the lechon well. What I love about this: I can't see lechon fat so there's no guilt in eating this! :) Here it is, all wrapped up:
Ordering from them is easy, though you have to place your weekday order two days in advance, you can have them right away during the weekends. There are eight merchants including Bale Dutung whose food are available for you through City Delivery:
- Bale Dutung - enjoy Chef Claude Tayug's famous creations: Pan de Bagnet and Lechon Tortilla.
- Big Bob's - satisfy your cravings for mozarella and cheddar cheese-stuffed burger patties that are grilled over charcoal.
- Chucks Grubberie - can provide you with a variety of fish to choose from for your traditionally cooked fish and chips.
- Homemade Ravioli - gives you fresh homemade ravioli with a selection of flavors to choose from, served with fresh tomato salsa.
- Manang's Chicken - serves yummy double-fried chicken infused with their secret soy-garlic sauce and a hint of sesame.
- Merry Moo - excites foodies with fresh homemade ice cream with fun and creative flavors!
- Mochiko -indulge in modern versions of Japanese mochi, with exciting fillings including ice cream and traditional red bean paste.
- Spring by Ha Yuan - offers foodies with light and healthier versions of Chinese and Asian delights such as their bao sliders and chilled taho.