Aug 6, 2011

How To Make Pasta



They say freshly made pasta tastes better than store-bought, and they are definitely perfect for the recipes featured in Vermicelli -- Indian Pasta. Quite frankly I am no expert at making pasta, but my dad has been making them since his childhood in Ilocos, where he has probably made a lot more miki (a popular pasta in Ilocos) than he knows. Whenever he makes a batch of pasta I'm always helping out in small ways. If you're eager to get started on making the pasta, you can go to the recipe below this post. :)
How To Make Pasta

I got to roll out the dough using one end of the machine. You can probably roll it out by hand, but you have to cover and let the dough rest for a while before hand rolling so it won't spring back and get you all frustrated. After rolling out, let the dough dry out a bit and give a generous flouring, then it's ready to go through the cutter:

How To Make Pasta

After a few minutes of waiting, the sheets were slightly dry enough. I let one pass through the other cutter by mistake and got wider strips of pasta. It would probably pass for fettuccine or the local mami noodles. :)

How To Make Pasta

I know, they look horribly twisted there, but here's how they look like after the whole sheet has been cut:
How To Make Pasta


And the smaller-sized pasta:

How To Make Pasta


After many more kneading, rolling out and cutting, the pasta is up for air-drying. My dad's complaining that I'm slowing him down with all the photo-taking and playing around, but you know how they are, haha! :) Here's the proverbial written down recipe of the pasta he's been using:

Homemade Pasta Recipe

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp salt
6 eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil

Procedure:
  1. Sift the flour and salt together on a clean table or counter. 
  2. Make a well in the center of the flour, pour the oil and crack the eggs into the well.
  3. Using a fork, slowly beat the eggs and oil into the flour, working your way from the center outwards.
  4. Knead the dough until firm and dry. It should form a firm ball, but it shouldn't stick to your hands.
  5. If it's sticky, add more flour little by little as you knead, until it's no longer sticky.
  6. Divide the dough into small four-inch balls.
  7. Roll out a bit, then pass through the machine for an even thickness.
  8. Let dry for a minute or two, flour generously, then pass through the cutter.
  9. Air dry.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Pearl! This post makes me hungry and crave for pastaa mmm!:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow galing!! galing galing! naaaliw ako! amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how to make pasta, amazing, thanks for posting! Grabe, parang it takes a lot of work din, but I'm sure it tastes soo much better than store bought ones! -Mar
    Btw, it would truly mean a lot to me if you could join my 1st blog giveaway with a beautiful neck piece inspired from the House of Harlow at stake. Hope I'll be seeing you!
    -Not Your Ordinary Beauty Queen-
    Don't miss: <a href="http://notyourordinarybeautyqueen.blogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love pasta and have never tried to make it. It doesn't look incredibly hard.

    I came from the alexa blog hop and am following on gfc

    http://www.randomthoughtsandotherthingsbybrenda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a dream last night about eating pasta. ha. Too bad I am GF or this would be on my to do list for today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE making fresh pasta! There really is no going back after you've had it! New follower coming over from the hop!
    Nice to meet you!
    Angela @ First Comes Baby...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to give fresh pasta a try!
    I saw your website on the Alexa Blog Hop, would love for you to come over and visit!
    Brenda
    http://www.piggygiggles.com

    ReplyDelete