Aug 10, 2011

Sweet and Savory Tocino Fried Rice



I'm not really fond of fried rice. That is, if we are talking about the greasy, bland, fried rice infused with tons of yellow food color and topped with a scant amount of garlic. While I always opt for plain rice whenever we eat out, at home it is quite different. Everyone loves waking up to a hearty breakfast, right? Well, in my case, they are the ones to wake up to that because I'm doing the cooking. But even on days like this, I sure loved cooking this sweet and sticky, savory tocino fried rice.

If you happened to read my post regarding the SM Master Chefs event I attended, we were shown how to cook Tocino Chao Fan during the cooking marathon. I usually associate that name with Chowking, so I am vouching for fried rice instead. This is my take on the tocino fried rice, which is sort of a  mixed up and homey fried rice as opposed to Chef Cauilan's Tocino Chao Fan (photo below). The beauty of home-cooking is that you don't really have to make it look great when you're cooking so early in the morning.




Sweet and Savory Tocino Fried Rice Recipe

Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks leeks, chopped
  • 250 grams frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 pack pork tocino, cooked in a little amount of water
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup oyster sauce

Cooking Directions

  1. Slice the cooked tocino into small pieces.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Saute garlic, then add leeks. Stir for a a few seconds.
  3. Add mixed vegetables, followed by the tocino.
  4. Stir in the salt and pepper.
  5. Add in the rice and mix well.
  6. Add the oyster sauce and mix until evenly seasoned.
  7. Pour in the beaten aggs and quickly mix to spread. Heat through for five more minutes.
  8. Serve hot.

23 comments:

  1. Hi,
    New follower from the blog hop please come follow me back :)
    http://lifewithtwinsandadramaqueen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. fried rice is always my favorite..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a complete breakfast na. coffee na lang kulang.:p

    ReplyDelete
  4. So colorful! Even my toddler would love to eat this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to wake up in the morning seeing your tocino fried rice on my dining table. Looks great! Here's my entry:
    http://www.delightmyappetite.com/2011/08/food-trip-friday-bonchon-chicken/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Fried rice and I love Tocino,so this one is perfect for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, im hope my kid would love this :)

    have great day!

    http://vhen.blogspot.com/2011/08/purple-yam.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh... I love how the tocino compliments the over-all look of the dish. Bookmarking this for future kitchen experiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awee thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try this~

    Can I invite you to join my GIVEAWAY-Korean BB creams , thank you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this looks tasty and great photos! Will you link it up today? http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-post_11.html
    http://www.homesandbabies.com
    http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. a real must try, thanks for the share..I can't wait for breaky

    Have a great weekend, here's my FTF entry, do check it out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay this is really good. I too like a fried rice that is not too yellow but this looks very good. Had to try this one ^_^

    Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love fried rice, but have never made it at home. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. as usual, you made me so hungry.. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  15. i will join your giveaway, 4am now. a bit sleepy. sorry for being MIA. I miss you pearl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for sharing your recipe! will surely try this one.

    usually i cook the scrambled egg separately...i just chop it into little pieces before mixing it with the fried rice. am not a fan of half-cooked eggs, that's why i make sure it's cooked before i mix it in. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. we love fried rice even without toppings..but i want to try to cook that way. Looks yummier to me. Anyway, was here for FTF. Hope you can drop by if you have time.

    kat-in-the-kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love fried rice with lots of toppings like this!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ay kalami sa pagkaon sa buntis oi.. maau ky ganahan diay ka og fried rice sis Anna.. ako dli jud ko ganahan oi labi na krn buntis ko.. but still looking yummylicious! Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF!

    Here's mine: White Pomfret Fish Stew with Veges

    Come-by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My fave breakfast meal minus the tocino nga lang! Sarap! :)

    Want a bite of my Choco-topped Shakoy? Lol. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete