Finding out that I was co-hosting with Thea of Words and Nosh for the start of this wonderful year was such a pleasure, just in time when I got back to blogging again. As Thea celebrates her big 3-0 this month -- Happy Birthday Thea!!! --, we were more than excited to challenge the Kulinarya Cooking Club members to cook up their favorite birthday treat, but at a healthier note to start of the year right. :)
A dish that I never fail to ask for when it's my birthday is a sizzling plate of pork sisig, with yummy pork cheeks and ears, mixed with onions and chili, and topped with a ton of crushed chicharon. And although I am no fan of mayonnaise, I can't help but love the mayo dressing we mix with it just before serving.
Making a dish healthier doesn't mean it has to be boring. Well, tofu can be boring sometimes, but not when substituting the meat in this dish. Less salt, no fatty chunks of meat, and a ton of protein should make those abdominal muscles appear sometime sooner - so long as I stay away from extra cups of rice! My brother said it tastes similar to Max's Sizzling Tofu. I think it tastes better :)
VISIT HERE FOR TOP HEALTH HACKS AND TIPSSizzling Tofu Sisig Recipe
- 500-gram pack Chinese tofu
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 finger chilies, sliced
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Cut up the Chinese tofu into cubes and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain in paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, oyster sauce, sugar, parsley, and pepper. Mix well, and add water until desired thickness is achieved. (I stopped at two tablespoons). Adjust taste accordingly.
- Heat the mayo mixture in low heat while stirring for two minutes, then add the bell pepper and continue stirring for one more minute.
- Take your heated sizzling plate and add a small amount of vegetable oil. Saute garlic and onions until cooked, add in the tofu and mayo dressing and mix well.
- Sprinkle with sliced finger chili and more onions.
Sharing this with my fellow KCC foodies! :)