Jan 21, 2012

Sizzling Tofu Sisig Recipe



Finding out that I was co-hosting with Thea of Words and Nosh for the start of this wonderful year was such a pleasure, just in time when I got back to blogging again. As Thea celebrates her big 3-0 this month -- Happy Birthday Thea!!! --, we were more than excited to challenge the Kulinarya Cooking Club members to cook up their favorite birthday treat, but at a healthier note to start of the year right. :)

A dish that I never fail to ask for when it's my birthday is a sizzling plate of pork sisig, with yummy pork cheeks and ears, mixed with onions and chili, and topped with a ton of crushed chicharon. And although I am no fan of mayonnaise, I can't help but love the mayo dressing we mix with it just before serving.




Making a dish healthier doesn't mean it has to be boring. Well, tofu can be boring sometimes, but not when substituting the meat in this dish. Less salt, no fatty chunks of meat, and a ton of protein should make those abdominal muscles appear sometime sooner - so long as I stay away from extra cups of rice! My brother said it tastes similar to Max's Sizzling Tofu. I think it tastes better :)



Ingredients
  • 500-gram pack Chinese tofu
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 finger chilies, sliced

Cooking Directions

  1. Heat oil in a deep pan.
  2. Cut up the Chinese tofu into cubes and fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain in paper towels.
  3. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, oyster sauce, sugar, parsley, and pepper. Mix well, and add water until desired thickness is achieved. (I stopped at two tablespoons). Adjust taste accordingly.
  4. Heat the mayo mixture in low heat while stirring for two minutes, then add the bell pepper and continue stirring for one more minute.
  5. Take your heated sizzling plate and add a small amount of vegetable oil. Saute garlic and onions until cooked, add in the tofu and mayo dressing and mix well.
  6. Sprinkle with sliced finger chili and more onions.

Sharing this with my fellow KCC foodies! :)


25 comments:

  1. whoa-- now this I have to try! I love sisig!

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tofu sisig, beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks so delish! Who knew you an all-vegan sisig could be so good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pearl, thank you (and Thea of course) for the challenge. I wouldn't have thought that we could make Filipino food so healthy (you know what our food is known for right?) but look at all the "healthy" concoctions we have here at KCC and I thought, we could make it an option.
    Thanks again, and this sisig will surely hit the mark just like a fatty sisig would.
    cheers,
    Malou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this Tofu Sisig and sizzling pa!!! Great theme, Pearl (and Thea!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had tofu sisig before but it looks delicious and I think this is a great alternative to the fatty and cholesterol laden real thing. Good post, Pearl and thank you for hosting this month’s theme. You and Thea did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Yum !! great post !!! thanks for sharing your recipe =) now, all i need is a bottle of san miguel !=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sooo love tofu, so tofu sisig is definitely my thing! Sarrraappp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the birthday wishes! You took the idea right out of my head-- I was trying to figure out a way to make a vegetarian sisig but gave up! I'll have to make your recipe now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I dropped in from the Alexa drop hop. :) This recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I was also thinking about that tofu I still have in the ref when preparing for this month's challenge, but just can't seem to think of what to do with it. Thanks for this entry, a healthy and exciting dish at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi stopping by from Alexa hop. If you get a chance pls review Self Sagacity Alexa, leave comment, I will surely get done for you too. Happy Monday and have great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW- I was trying to eat more tofu. Will try this recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent twist on sisig! I just love tofu because it just tastes great with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,

    You have lots of dish here that I would like to do at home. From Alexa blog Hop.

    Visit me here:
    http://www.traveltomydreams.com/
    http://freethoughts.info/

    Thank you

    Lady

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love tofu sisig :) it's healthier alternative to pork ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks awesome.Great recipes.
    Stopping by from the hop.
    www.motherhoodthetruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never tried tofu but this looks yummy!!

    Stopping by on the Alexa Hop.
    http://fivekidsandcrazyme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. great post Pearl! I am a mayo fan and have never tried it with sisig before. Tofu sisig is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made this one an hour ago with a bit of changes. Tatay loved it! This recipe is truly perfect for the bed weather we have these days. Thank you and God bless you! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made one like this an hour ago, but with a bit of changes for my "pihikan" na Tatay. And boy he loved it! This recipe is really perfect for the bed weather we have these days. Thank you my Sassy Chef and God bless you always. Ut in omnibus glorificetur deus! :) <3

    ReplyDelete