Feb 18, 2012

Avocado - Calamansi Sorbet


As I was thinking about this month's KCC challenge hosted by Abigail of My Nappytales and Marni of Kensington Kitchen, I couldn't help it that the first thing that calls my first love to mind is dessert, and a particularly cold one at that. As a child I practically could live off ice cream and frozen yogurt (oh yes, BTIC has been giving me love for more than a decade), and the first time I had their strawberry and pistachio flavors, the world stopped. Of course my dad hates going to the mall, and my parents instead took us to our weekly out-of-town trips somewhere else, so getting that sweet, tongue-numbing dessert is a limited treat for a child in her early primary school.

I couldn't stop begging my dad (yes, I am was a proud daddy's girl-slash-bunso at the time) for the frozen yogurt, so my mom introduced me to the next best thing: homemade sorbets, granitas, and popsicles. Pureed fruits, juice, plain or chocolate-flavored fresh milk went into the freezer, and out came yummy desserts. As far as I remember, my very first love and my mom's trump card that time was the honey-lemon granita. *happily sighs*


And so, now that I am no longer the youngest and my spoiled-brat rights were passed on to my brothers, I get to make my own dessert! After realizing that I forgot to freeze the bowl for the ice cream maker, sorbet seems to be the better option. The silky texture of avocados with the light and zesty flavor of the calamansi makes this sorbet the perfect pick-me-up anytime of the day.




Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup calamansi juice
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp calamansi zest  

Cooking Directions

  1. Make the syrup by dissolving the sugar in water, then place in a saucepan together with the calamansi zest.
  2. Boil in low to medium heat without stirring until the sugar is dissolved completely and mixture thickens a bit (do not let the color change, lower the heat if needed). Let cool.
  3. Take the avocado flesh and scoop them into the blender / food processor. Add the syrup and blend until smooth.
  4. Transfer to a freezer-proof container and freeze, breaking up clumps of ice and stirring with a fork every 30 minutes or so until everything is turned into a fine crystallized treat.
  5. Alternatively, don't forget to freeze the ice cream maker's bowl and use an ice cream maker to process the sorbet. Enjoy! :)
Sharing this with my fellow KCC foodies!

19 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy!! And really easy to make! :)

    www.joeiandme.com
    Please LIKE my Facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to re-create this especially during summer. The avocado and calamansi sounds like a good combo. I never had them both together except mayve for guac (lemon though) but I am used to having avocado as sweet and this is way to go.
    Great take on this month's theme Pearl. See you next month!
    malou

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be on my summer party menu for sure ! =) thanks for sharing this =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just taught me a new recipe .... i also like the unusual combo like this .... ingenious and inventive .... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avocado and calamansi sound perfect together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting combination, Pearl! I'll definitely give this a try when winter is over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never thought of mixing avo and calamansi together but it looks really good. will definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this dessert! so refreshing!

    i missed you! good thing youa re back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think avocado is one of the best ice cream flavours ever. I like your sorbet version which sounds more refreshing and lower in fat. will be making this in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm, this looks like a must try! a perfect and yummy bonding activity for me and my girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ayy sarap! I never knew that avocado and calamansi would work well together. Definitely a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, in my time and place, we only gorge on dirty ice creams, but when we had our blender, slushies and shakes made my days, specially the hot ones. Avocado shakes are always on our list next to mangoes, if it is in season. And who could resist the mushy and velvety texture of Avocadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! sarap... will love to do this... and malapit na summer, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks really good and refreshing, perfect for a hot day, or just when you want to binge on some sorbet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious flavor combo -- truly Filipino! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is perfect for our 72 degree winter weather that we are experience in California! great recipe. Fred

    ReplyDelete
  17. It took me ages to fall in love with avocado and now that I love it unconditionally... I will definitely try this :-) Sounds refreshingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have tons of avocado here. And definitely will try this recipe. Hopefully it turns out well. :)

    ReplyDelete