If you want to have a fun and tasty, no-fuss breakfast, then this western style fried rice perfect for cowboys and cowgirls is definitely worth a try. The Star Ranchero Rice is a one-pot dish that's perfect for breakfast. It's reminiscent of Mexican spices, Jamaican patties, burritos and the Wild West cartoons I loved watching as a kid.
The dish has a little heat and a load of flavor that's not too strong for kids to handle. Featured previously on SM Master Chef's Cooking Marathon, I decided to give each recipe another chance at the limelight.
Ranchero Rice RecipeIngredients
- 1/4 kilo regular hotdogs, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped and seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 pc siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) or any hot pepper of your choice
- 1/2 cup sweet style tomato / pizza sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 3 pcs medium eggs
- Pour oil in a standard rice cooker, heat through and saute onions, bell pepper and tomatoes. Slightly cook.
- Add sliced hotdogs and stir for a minute.
- Add rice, cilantro, siling labuyo and beef broth. Mix well and cover until rice is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the rice mixture into an oven proof baking dish.
- Crack eggs over the rice and broil in oven or turbo until eggs are cooked.
- Serve hot and enjoy.